Music for unfinished airports : The Brandt Bluetooth Ballet
There will be a band that doesn’t exist.
Three full functioning black and white copies of the actual band members that performed as AIRCHINA a year earlier at ITALIC BERLIN will form a one-time-only band to perform on Friday, 21st of June 2019 at Willy-Brandt-Platz, Berlin. They will create a 3-channel bluetooth stream of sounds, remixing material from both AIRCHINA releases, LP 1 and the upcoming LP 2. Each copy will be equipped with a speaker and a device to create and mix sounds in realtime. All copies will have access to the same pool of sample material. There will be no stage. Each copy can move around individually and choose their positions, gestures and actions intuitively. They will however follow a simple set of instructions:
1. Agree on a starting point, a first sound and/or action to signal the start of the one-hour piece.
2. Try to keep it to one hour. Check the time, but don’t stop abruptly. Find a way to come to the end as a group.
3. Try not to stop performing in-between. Keep the stream going. Moments of silence that are part of your performance are welcome, of course.
4. Move around, don’t stay glued to each other and don’t talk to each other during the performance.
5. Focus on sound and use the space. If you can’t hear the other copies, come closer to each other, if you feel you don’t harmonize with each other increase distance.
6. Use harmony, timbre, and your feeling of compatibility as „magnets“. Decide when to attract and when to repel one another.
7. Don’t feel forced to stick to one application or to recreate original compositions. Use all the material as unprejudiced, unchained and intuitively as possible.
8. Stay determined. Don’t let audiences, passers-by or circumstances distract you, don’t interact with anybody, especially not verbally.
The band of copies will create a situation rather than a concert. The copies are not protagonists. They serve a purpose. They will be disposed of after the event.
Airport Express RE 7, RE 14, RE 22 from Berlin HBF, Alexanderplatz to Flughafen Schönefeld.
From Flughafen Schönefeld (bus station rightmost) free shuttle bus every 30 min to Parkhaus P3 / BER, Willy-Brandt-Platz. Timetable for the shuttle bus (PDF).
Italic is located in Berlin’s Mitte district at a former foyer of the complex “Leipziger Strasse”, well known for its striking GDR architecture and organized by Philipp Fürnkäs, Marc Knauer & Mounya Rezzoug.
Foto docu : Piotr Pietrus & Heiko Pfreundt